Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Broken tree, rotten spot.


Last Tuesday a tree that is in front of my house broke in half. It was big surprise for me because it always seemed very healthy. And even with all the wind that is blowing during this fall, I never suspected that it would not resist to it. But when I looked closely it became clear why the accident happened: there was a rotten spot in a small part of the tree’s trunk. No one could have noticed it and it was a really small part of the trunk, but it was there and made it succumb.
Thinking about it later, it astonished me how similar what happened with this tree is with what happen with us when we are tolerant with sin. We are sometimes so satisfied with our general spiritual performance that we tend to ignore or to take for granted that little spot that still keeps our heart dirty, forgetting the main commandment of our Lord: “You shall be holy for I am holy.” (1Pet 1:16) And even if we look spiritually healthy, soon our public fall will come. Scripture is full of such examples (Achan, the rich young ruler, Simon the magician).
Now, more important than our similarities with this tree are our differences. Trees do not have feelings. They do not love. We do! How delightful it is to love Him who loved us first. Is not love revealed in obedience? Yes, it is. That is what teaches us our Savior Jesus Christ. “If you love me, you will keep my Commandments.” (John 14:15)
Trees do not grow in grace. We do! This marvelous God, who loves us, promised us that He would sanctify us and that with faith in Him and trusting in His power we would overcome the enemy of our souls and his temptations. “I have written to you, young man, because you are strong and the word of God abides in you and you have overcome the evil one.” (1John 2:14)
Trees do not repent. We do. In fact, that is the very nature of a true Christian. He is able to recognize what he really is. When examining his heart, he is confronted with those things his Savior hates, his conscience bothers him and until he bows down his knees and begs for forgiveness he finds no peace. “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” (Psalm 51:2)
I suggested my landlord that the remaining of the tree should also be cut off. There is a great chance that it is also compromised, further and even greater damage can be caused. But as trees of the Lord, He is always ready to deal with us, to treat our sin, to bring us closer to him. “His mercy is everlasting and his truth endures to all generations.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Breno,

The analogy you draw between the rotten, but healthy looking tree and the nature of sin in the heart is striking. I'm glad I saw your link on bestcommentaries.com. All the best to you in your studies, brother!

Jason Roddy